Saturday, September 28, 2013

Back for High School for a Night

In high school, I loved playing at football games. It was one of the highlights of the week. When I had the chance to play with a high school band again, I was pretty excited. That is exactly what I got to do last night, along with other Ohio Northern University band members.

The band director at Upper Scioto Valley is an alumna member of Tau Beta Sigma at ONU. The USV band consists of 17 members, and they do not march. She was asked to have the band play for the school's Homecoming game. She talked to our vice president of service of Tau Beta Sigma, who announced this to the band. We had approximately 20 students who went to play with the USV band. After we ran through the fight song once with USV's band, we went to the field.

For halftime, we played four songs: My Sharona, Another One Bites the Dust, Smoke on the Water and Land of a Thousand Dances. For the performance, we just stood in the stands. I thought the performance went well. It was fun to play songs I haven't played before.

We also played our version of Charge throughout the game. I had trouble getting the "USV, USV, fight, fight, fight!" chant down, as did others. I would start to say "Go," then realize that wasn't part of this chant. Perhaps that is from having our chant stuck in my head from playing Charge countless times during ONU games.

Even though USV made a good comeback towards the end, they couldn't get the win. However, the game was a fun experience for everybody. The USV band got to play at a football game and the ONU band members got to play in a more relaxed setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment