Saturday, September 14, 2013

Trying Something New

I have heard that college is the time to branch out and try new things. Whether it is a class, club or a group, Ohio Northern provides its students with many opportunities to try something new. I have taken advantage of this and cannot believe how much I have already done.

Freshman year, I did two new things. First, I became a deejay at WONB, our campus radio station! That was something I never thought I would do. If you know me, I am a shy girl. It helped me break out of my shell, and I have grown as a person just from working there. 

The other new thing was becoming a sister of Tau Beta Sigma. I was so excited when I got a bid to join! The member-in-training process was interesting, and I went through it with a great group of girls. The day I became a sister was so exciting! It was the same day as the social event we scheduled, so I got to spend a lot of time with sisters.

Last year, I became a brother of Alpha Phi Omega. I knew some people that were in the group, so I decided to check it out. The rush events I attended were interesting. Since I joined, I realized that there are many ways to provide service. Plus, it can be fun to help others!

The new thing I am doing now is ballet! Last year, the idea of taking a dance class struck me. However, I took Dance and Culture, which was more of an informative class about the dances different cultures do. It was interesting, but not what I wanted from a dance class. I wanted to actually dance.  

It would make sense that when I figured out my schedule for this semester, I would include a dance class, right? However, that was not the case. It wasn't until the end of July that I changed my mind about one class that was on my schedule. It didn't sound as appealing to me and I started to have second thoughts about it. Luckily, a ballet class still had an open spot! Even though I had to drop a class to add ballet, I was so excited to finally be in a dance class!

So far, it is an interesting experience. I love going to class and learning new things. I have no formal dance experience, so there is a lot to learn! Some things are easier to learn than others. I hope that it will get easier as the semester goes on.

If you haven't considered trying a new activity, I would recommend it! You may find that you really enjoy something! Likewise, you may try something and hate it. The point is you have to try new things to see if you like them or not.

What is something new you have tried at Ohio Northern?

No comments:

Post a Comment