Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Final Performance

Yesterday was the final halftime performance of the Divalicious show for the marching band. We performed the entire show, which hasn't happened since the Sidney Band Festival. This time, we got to march the entire show, which did not happen in Sidney.

I was excited to perform because my mom was able to watch the entire halftime show. I remember the first game I marched in freshman year because she was helping out at the game and had to leave about a minute into halftime. I could tell where she was for two reasons.

1. She wore a bright orange headband.
2. During the first song, she kept moving to see me better. I don't know how well this worked, because I moved to the other side of the field after the first song.

With one show done, it's time to work on the second show. The next show has an 1813 theme. Music by Richard Wagner and Giuseppe Verdi will be performed. There will also be new drill to learn, but we have quite a bit of time to learn it.

Next week is Band-O-Rama, the annual marching band concert. Music from both shows will be performed, as well as the pregame show and other fun songs. It's always a long day, but a lot of fun. It's also a great chance to listen to the band and not get really cold at a football game!

3 comments:

  1. I was able to watch the halftime show during the Homecoming football game and I thought it was great! I could definitely see all the hard work that the band put into making the show as great as it was. The idea of a theme based on the year 1813 is very different. Will it be performed during the football games for the rest of the season?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Considering the weather we had for Homecoming, I think that show went pretty well. The 1813 show will be performed at the final game of the season. I'm pretty sure we'll play that music during Band-O-Rama as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marching band is one of the things I miss most about high school. Instrumentally, I was all over the place, starting out as a flautist in middle school and switching to percussion my freshman year. I was fortunate enough to play the bass drum my freshman year and snare my sophomore and junior years. Senior year was especially exciting for me because I was chosen to be one of two field commanders. As much as I loved directing Wapakoneta's marching band, I missed being on the field. Lucky for me, my high school participated in the Ohio Indoor Performance Association's winter drumline competitions, so I was able to perform almost year round.

    Good luck on your next show! Learning new music and drill is always challenging, but fun. It'd be interesting for me to get back on the field to see how much I remember!

    ReplyDelete